Monday, December 30, 2013

Christmas was honestly such a great day. I owe it to 2 things

Another beautiful Christmas tree (at the mall)


I love you more than....
Family photo from my end of Skype call

Skype + Christmas presents + bible videos put together!
(haha made me think "I have more money than Calvin Coolidge, put together" name that movie...)
(Singing in the Rain)
Christmas Eve at "Papa Ron's
(Tuesday's are a buy 1 get 1 deal- perfect for missionaries haha)

Missionaries performed "Once there was a snowman" at the ward party

I think every missionary's highlight is the skype time. It is the best and worst thing because it was all I could think about for that whole day. (and maybe the next day hee hee) After skyping, we had a ward party, then all the missionaries watched bible videos/mormon messages until the next ward party. I honestly have never been so stoked to get home and read my scriptures! The bible videos are THE COOLEST! Christ is... perfect, but also just so wise. Every word He says is just oozing truth and the Spirit! Makes me want to be a better teacher for my investigators! Have you watched the bible videos?  Because I was honestly dying it was so cool! I ordered Jesus the Christ from the mission office and hope it comes around my birthday because I am dying to read it! Mom, I have caught the New Testament bug too. I can't learn enough about Christ's life! Let's both read “Jesus the Christ” together ok? But Christmas was honestly such a great day. I owe it to those 2 things: spending time with family (even just a little) and watching the Savior's life and ministry. Can life get any better? I submit that it cannot? (or maybe it's better to quote the other Bryan Regan one... "can you picture a better ending? Um yeah! Landing in Charlotte?! With luggage and dry socks?")
Elder Haws is in the Santa Suit (no wonder kids are afraid! That mask is aneh (weird)
Elder Hendro, Sister Manurung and I are at one of the ward Christmas parties
 
Me and Sister Manurung with one of the newer members of the Jebres ward.
She is a doll!
Hasilan (what is that in English?.... "the results") of Christmas
Before I forget! (sorry this is all over the place today) How do you make a rice bag? Like the one I use when my back is sore? I think I want to use some of the cloth bags that you sent presents in to make one here. Back to my email...
 
At the house of a new member before Christmas time
We have had such a great week! We had an investigator come to the ward party and said he will come to church next week too. We hope that he will be baptized before the end of January. (He is 81 but like in a Grandpa Sheffield "still acts like a 60 year old" kind of way). We have been trying to find some new investigators and praying to know who to talk to this week. We met one man after walking around the streets for a little while who is Muslim, but was very nice to us and said we could come back next week. And then the next day we met a family.
 
Tried out my camping stove "oven" and it was delicious
FUNNY STORY! So white washing and both being new has it's up's and down's. Maybe 2 weeks ago we were looking for an inactive member and here in Indonesia they don't have addresses, just areas really. So we were asking around to find this man, then when we got to their house, no one was home so we left our card and an invitation to the ward Christmas Party with a note. A few days ago we went back to this house to meet with the inactive member... well surprise surprise- it was a man by the exact same name but definately not a member! But what a miracle coincidence! HE IS CHRISTIAN! His whole family! And they were kind to let us in and were obviously curious after we left them these notes last week haha. We ended up leaving a pamphlet and they said we could come back. 
 
Is this a funny story?
We got locked IN our house before service last week!
We had to have someone saw off our padlock
We still haven't found that inactive member, but we are excited at the fact there ARE people to teach in Indonesia. Maybe not even these two potentials but if we could find these two people, of course we will find others as well. We also got 2 referrals from people this week. Note to all those who read this at some point or another: give missionaries referrals. It makes it sooooooo much easier for us and you will feel so much better inside once you do. Promise!
 
I have been craving this for so long... Nasi Padang
which is typical food in Medan Indonesia
Hope that New Years is a blast (and have fun with the grown-ups this year mom haha). This is my last email as a 19 year old. GILA BANGET! (so crazy!)
One last funny thing! When I was little I remember playing Barbies and always saying I was a 20 year old named Stacy. Well here I am, about to be 20, and my name is different, starts with an S, but is definitely not Stacy ha-ha. I think my 20 year old self is a much better version than I could have imagined back in those barbie doll days. I have grown up so much on my mission. And even though I am apprehensive to hit my 20's GILA BANGET! I know that I am living the life right now. The more I learn, the more I realize how much more there is to learn. The more I serve, the more I realize how much more I should be doing. Now don't be scared by missionary perspective but everything seems to focus on life after the mission, specifically marriage. But I am so excited to be a mom someday. I'm gonna cry just thinking about it! Having a little family, in a little house, just doing those little things to bring light and strength into our home. THAT is 20 year old grown up perspective. I love riding my bike more than walking or sitting. I love fish and spicy food (but still not shell fish). I'm fluent in another language and now working on some Javanese. I am a missionary. Does that sound like a 20 year old or what? 
Proof of my hospital visit, but feeling a lot better now


I love you all so much and can't wait to share all of this with you someday. Until then, keep reading your scriptures, clean your rooms, eat lots of roast/potatoes for me on my birthday and remember what the ultimate goal is: Exaltation in the Celestial Kingdom! Woot woot! That is going to be a great Sheffield party!

WOW! I am so excited about all your Christmas presents! Excited for the bikes because I want to go riding with you all, excited for Joshua because I know that feeling :), excited for the guitar because now Andrew can help me learn, excited for Dad's upgrade because now I can have a I-don't-get-this-technology-friend when I come home! Speaking of Dad- yes I actually just heard that fact about Indonesia a few weeks ago! The people in Indonesia don't even know that their home is one of the reasons we have Christ's true church on the earth again! They'll see it someday. [editor’s note: A volcanic eruption in Indonesia caused ash to fill the air and contributed to crop failure where Joseph Smith’s family resided. As a result, they left the area to live in Palmayra, where he would later find the gold plates.]

And I have been emailing a little with Sister Montierth (haha so weird to call her that). I am sorry to hear about Merlene, but also grateful for the time I knew here on this earth and happy for the chance she has to be active in the work again in heaven! 


Tresna tansah, (javanese for love always)

Sister Emily Adelaide Sheffield




Selamat Natal
Merry Christmas
Sent Dec 23, 2013

Celebrating Christmas in the mission is really weird, (especially in a Muslim country) I'll admit to that... but this is the one time that I feel like I really am able to focus on the meaning. I feel at times inadequate to wear the name of Christ and represent him so directly, but the more I study about His life and His birth, the more impressed I am that Christ loves us so much. He gave His life --and everything He has-- and we, as imperfect persons, are the recipients of that greatest gift. We have every opportunity to achieve the greatest glory in heaven. Christ's birth brought that hope and peace and light to the world. The best Christmas present ever, don't you think?
Ok ok ok mission cheesiness, but I am so grateful for the friendships/memories with you all. I don't have enough p-days to write it all out. So don't feel like I am ignoring you individually by sending this to everyone- each of you has helped me at some point in my life or mission and I just wanted to thank you! Hope that you have been nice this year and Santa still drops by :) If not... well that's why we have the Atonement! so hurry and do some repenting because it is almost Christmas! Lots of love!
Selalu,

Sister Sheff

No comments:

Post a Comment