Tuesday, December 3, 2013

"I knew it, and I knew that God knew it, and I could not deny it"

My Thanksgiving! Yes, I found a place with turkey and mashed potatoes.
I searched long and hard for this restaurant.
I love you more than…. mashed potatoes!
Speaking of which, how was Thanksgiving?! Did you end up visiting both sides of the family? Turkey bowl?
So this week started as kind of a crummy week for me but each day got a little better than the last. Monday was a really really bad day for me. I felt so drained emotionally which drained me physically BUT two angels came named Sis Manalu and Sis Baantjer. It was sooo good to see them!
Sometimes I feel like we live in a beautiful painting
Tuesday I went on exchanges with Sis Manalu and it was soooooo great! Oh I've missed her! And it felt so natural just to go out and visit the people that I had found with her. And just work! I still was feeling kind of sick but it was just a carefree day. We watched Pemulihan 2 times and with Pak. I FINALLY GOT A PICTURE OF HIM! But I have watched The Restoration now like 5x this week. I love Joseph Smith's account of his experience. My absolute favorite part is JS-H 1:25 " So it was with me. I had actually seen a light, and in the midst of that light I saw two Personages, and they did in reality speak to me; and though I was hated and persecuted for saying that I had seen a vision, yet it was true; and while they were persecuting me, reviling me, and speaking all manner of evil against me falsely for so saying, I was led to say in my heart: Why persecute me for telling the truth? I have actually seen a vision; and who am I that I can withstand God, or why does the world think to make me deny what I have actually seen? For I had seen a vision; I knew it, and I knew that God knew it, and I could not deny it, neither dared I do it; at least I knew that by so doing I would offend God, and come under condemnation." I have a testimony of this gospel and I know God knows my testimony, no amount of persecution or doubt could sway me! But Tuesday seemed to end too quickly.
Making pumpkin pie (and banana cream)
after spending a whole day sick in bed
Wednesday my sickness finally caught up with me and thankfully Mom Baantjer was there to baby me. I had a little bit of the flu so I had to stay home that day. Sis Believe and I just slept and read scriptures and studied and slept. But I was so grateful that the Elders came and gave me blessing. Elder Sadiyono in Indonesian and Elder James in English which just made me cry (ok ok so I cry EVERY time the priesthood gives blessings) but I am always so touched by the priesthood power, no matter the language and the sincerity of priesthood holders!  Haha so that night I also had to make the pies for Thanksgiving! Sister Donald (mish pres’s wife) sent me a bunch of ingredients from Jakarta so we were way spoiled. I made a “graham cracker” crust and a banana pudding pie for one and then a real crust pumpkin pie for the other. Two pies in one night! PS I FOUND OUT ABOUT TRANSFERS! I am officially going to Solo! SO I will white wash and train. Meaning that I am going to be training a new  Indonesian sister and it will be an area that neither of us have ever served in (white wash). The 5th, Sis Jibson, Sis Allred and I, fly to the mission home for a night then to pick up our new comps since the 3 of us are training. I am relieved, nervous, excited, and still not sure that this is really happening!
Thursday I was still feeling kind of sick, but just praying for an appetite for Thanksgiving! So the Sis Trainers also accidentally took our keys with them to Jakarta! Hahaha oh well! Also if I was more with it, I should’ve taken a picture of me trying to bring both pies (the pumpkin was still unbaked) in a carboard box on my handlebars! That night we went to this little place hoping that the turkey would be what we wanted. It was everything we hoped and more! Turkey and mashed potatoes with gravy! What more could a girl ask for?! I AM SO THANKFUL FOR MY FAMILY! I AM SO THANKFUL FOR MY MISSION! I AM SO THANKFUL FOR MY SAVIOR WHOSE NAME I WEAR AND PREACH EVERYDAY! Then we went to the church to eat the pies. But because we had a lack of ingredients, trying to make the whipped cream I accidentally made butter basically… but can’t win em all ya? It was reallllllllly delicious if I do say so myself. And even though the Indo’s thought the pumpkin was weird, I think they really liked celebrating Thanksgiving with us.
Koki Joni's made for a pretty legit Thanksgiving
L to R Sis. Believe, Sis Allred Sis Manullang, Elder Sadiyono, Elder James and me
Finished product. Call me Sister Chef-field
Friday we said goodbye to UCP and I wanted to cry. I am finding and volunteering at UCP in Utah when I get home! Then we went to Magelang for our DDM (weekly district meeting) because the Zone Leaders serve there and they’re in our district. It is a little more than an hour by bus. The four sisters went together because the elders were already there for exchanges. Their chapel there is in this little rented building and it is so cute! P.S. I learned that sometimes what counts as a toilet in Indonesia is just a tile floor with a drain in the corner… but only if you have to go number 1...
Our apartment bathroom and "shower". Don't judge the cleanliness... we try
Saturday we had a good day. We biked all around the city for only a few lessons but it felt like a good solid day of work and that is the best feeling! I feel like I am so close to understanding Pak and after inviting him to my farewell in church, I really thought he would come! Maybe not but I still have hope for after I leave.
Our bedroom. Sis. Believe's bed in back, mine at front. I use the sheets from the house
because I don't want to  get mine dirty Ha ha
The laundry room
My study desk (plus there is a big pile of books on the floor)
Our kitchen; by the way the water is fixed! Ya hoo!
P.S. I have a million “TL’s” for the family! Mom and Dad- you sound like the coolest ever and everyone wants to meet you, Andrew- you are very attractive, Joshua- you look so handsome and mature, Samuel- You have a charming smile, Jacob- you are the cutest of all the kids (I might have to disagree but… hahah kidding!) and lucy- they want mom to ship you out here too!
Sunday: farewells and driving out to the farthest non-active member on our bikes! Prettiest view ever though!
Today we are going to play futsol and go to Malioboro.
I LOVE YOU ALLLLLLLLLLLLLLL
Hugs and Kisses from Indo!

~Sis Sheff

No comments:

Post a Comment