Tuesday, October 15, 2013

I love you more than....


Oct 13, 2013
Creme Brûlée (proof that it exists in Indonesia)

...creme brûlée! (which I HAD this week! Ya! I know! I'll get to that later)
Monday: we found out Elder Kusumarmanto is transferring. It always feels like a member of the family is moving when transfers come! Sis Believe and I had a chance to strengthen our companionship and we have been much better at being one after that.

Tuesday: We went to visit a member family and talk about member missionary work. It was cool because their son just got back from his mission in Indonesia and both of the parents served so we taught for like 10 minutes and just listened to them give us good advice and their testimony of their missions for the rest of the visit. They both talked about companions and how you should only see the good in your companion and forget what ever else anyone has said or whatever else you are tempted to think negatively. I also liked that they talked about your mission as just another test you are going to pass, not full of trials but lessons to be learned. It was funny because we were riding home on the bus and Sister Believe tried to write her testimony in a Book Of Mormon and leave it on the bus for a person to find. She grabbed my arm and we almost started to run off the bus and from the bus stop but the worker ran after us!! "Mbak! Mbak! Buku anda!" (Miss! Miss! Your book!) haha so that failed but we laughed pretty hard. We're going try again today

Wednesday: The Elders prank called as an old investigator from the previous Sister Missionaries when we were planning our day and it was too funny! We were going through the area book and trying to find the address on a map... the whole shebang. I also got a letter from Mom and from Sister Jibson! I am always so humbled to get mail, to think that you guys even take time to write me! Sheesh I'm so blessed.

Well we went to my favorite investigator, Pak! He has not had coffee or a cigarette for 2 days! He told us that he believes the Book of Mormon is true and that all we teach him is true. BUT doesn't want to come to church or be baptized because he already was baptized in a different church and feels like it was legit. AH! Someday soon! Then we had some bike troubles (what's new?) on our way to an English class but it made me think that soon the Barnard's will go home and who will help us with all our bike problems, hospital visits, far away investigators? Mission couples are the glue here! Anyway we had another experience with one of our new members. She is the only member in her family and they told her to quit going to church. That happens WAY TOO often here and it always breaks my heart. It really is a test of my faith and theirs as they decide what is most important and I have to trust that Heavenly Father has a greater plan in store than what we can see.
 
The sister's at Nanamia's restaurant
Thursday: So it was Sister Manullang's birthday and we went to Nanamia's Pizzeria (this might be my last time there since the Barnard's go home soon!) Well they had a new menu so I HAD to try the creme brule and it made me a tad trunky... mom it was SO good! It was so much like yours! Even had the vanilla bean at the bottom! But this one used egg whites, so just a little different texture but sooo good! We also had a cake for her and I learned that in Indonesia it is tradition to give the first slice to the person you respect the most and is a great honor. Ha ha I usually say if it's your birthday you eat first but that must be my American side :)

Friday: After UCP and district meeting, it started to rain! First time in a while too! Nothing makes me more excited to work :) Even though we had cancelled appointments and a presumably "golden" investigator turn out to be maybe not so interested in the church and all those things, Heavenly Father sent the rain and friendly people and smiles to me. It reminds me of that conference talk from the Relief Society (R.S.) session by Pres. Monson about that lady who just wanted a loaf of homemade bread and an almost stranger brought one "on a whim". That is how Heavenly Father comforts me out here is through almost strangers who maybe don't even know they are helping me.

Saturday: Speaking of conference... it is like the superbowl for missionaries! The biggest event! We had an early morning appointment before then went the church. They watched in Indonesian upstairs and the 5 of us bule's watched in a room downstairs on a computer. Kind’a like two different worlds but I'm so glad we got to watch in english! Makes it so much easier to recieve inspiration! And how do I even begin to summarize my favorite parts? I really like Elder Edward Dube's talk about work. "It is not where you serve, but how" seems so applicable to my mission. I also really liked Uchtdorf's talk with dad's favorite quote "doubt your doubt before you doubt your faith." Then the afternoon session, I liked so many... hard to pick! I liked Elder Timothy J Dyches story about that woman who prayed "Jesus, I cannot forgive him. Give me your forgiveness" which is when she recieved that ability. Then he said, "it is not on our own goodness, forgiveness or even repentance that we are healed. It is on Him. In His own time. In His own way. In His own will." Then from the R.S. Session I tried to find mom and grandma Anderson in the audience, but no luck. I really liked that they all focused on covenants. Since I can't go to the temple right now, I want to focus on the Sacrament. I also loved what Sis Linda S. Reeves said about the Provo Tabernacle being gutted by a fire in what seemed like a tragedy until 10 months later it was announced as a future temple. We also sometimes might feel burned down to the ground but it is just so we can be prepared to house the Spirit of the Lord and be worthy of His commitments. And of course liked Pres. Thomas S. Monson's quote about prayer and love. "God's love is there for you when you are happy and sad. Whether or not you are worthy. It is simply always there." Have confidence in your prayers! PS I saw 7 friends in that MTC choir!!! After conference we went back out into the "real world". We had a few appointments fall through after that but I got a letter from some members in Jakarta and from Hailey Daniels. Again, Heavenly Father sends people to show me love, just when I need it!

Sunday: I liked Eyring's talk, about the women who had a grandson in prison and asking God “why”. And then she immediately heard "I gave him to you because I knew you could and would love him no matter what." We can't force people to choose happiness. I also really liked Elder Scott's perspective of the fathers of the Army of Helaman. I really like that he said keeping their commitments with God, did more to protect their families than anything they could have done on the battlefield. I liked what Elder Terence M. Vinson said about learning to rely on Heavenly Father instead of expecting him to remove our trials, "I have used all my strength!" "No you haven't. You haven't had my help yet." I loved it all! So sad that it is over. I just want the spirit to be as strong as that all the time! But we went to a member's house after conference ended and I played the scripture story grab-bag game with them. Also, have I already said that I am going to learn the guitar when I get back? I am! There is nothing cooler than singing hymns to a guitar.
 
The most INDONESIAN picture I've ever taken
This is next to the Barnard's house.
So overall this week was just another great rollercoaster here in Jogja! Today we are headed to Klaten for the birthday of the Winoto's daughter (who is turning 8!) and to teach a hopeful new investigator!

To answer your email... I HAD NO CLUE TAY WANTED TO SERVE BUT SHE JUST EMAILED ME! I have been thinking about her so much this week too!
 I can't believe you finally bought a boat! It is like the most cliche thing that the family buys a boat when their oldest is on a mission (Jackson too eh? haha) But I'm excited for the memories later.
There are no seasons here. That just dawned on me this week. I keep forgetting that holidays happen or that weather changes or the trees. Maybe that's why I'm terrible at writing because it doesn't feel like time passes... it is all just one big day! Same activities, same weather, same food, same clothes haha
I would LOVE to be forwarded other missionaries emails! I don't get them and it is so hard to take time to write each other... but I don't really have time to read them all online... but I still want to know what is going on in their missions!
I love you all and I kept thinking about you during conference (like the family choir or talks about families). You know it is really cool that we can still keep in touch and it is fun to think of the memories we will make when we get back home. There is nothing wrong with that! It is great to plan! But I also think it is so cool that we can be having experiences, fun times, hard times and learn away from each other. I think it is motivating to be apart and yet to strive to make our time together someday even better... someday in heaven too!
Keep achieving big things and keep having good times! Saya bersyukur bahwa saya anggota di keluarga ini dan saya bersyukur saya memiliki pengetauhan mengenai kehidupan/keluarga kekal.
Hark all ye nations hear heaven's voice!
<3 Sis Sheffie

No comments:

Post a Comment