Tuesday, February 4, 2014

"My voice is His voice, and my acts are His acts..."

I love you more than...

... Jann Parry's chocolate topped peanut butter rice krispies!

SO this week...
Monday we got spoiled to death at Uskup Catur's (Bishop Catur) house. Sis Manurung said, "today I feel like I'm someone special and not like a missionary" then I said, "what is that supposed to mean? Aren't missionaries special?!" haha But I’m not gonna lie, a massage chair will make anyone feel like royalty!
 
On our way to an investigators house with Sister Yuli as our fellowshipper... Sis. Yuli is so cool!
Tuesday we taught our solid investigators and finally picked a relatively-solid baptism date with Mbah Siswanta. Sis Manurung also pushed that man's becak all the way up the hill again.

Wednesday we got a lot done and felt busy even though we didn't teach a ton. It has been getting so crazy downtown with Chinese New Years so we tried contacting people there and took a lot of pictures too. 
 
Selamat Tahun BaruCina! Tahun Kuda
Happy Chinese New Year! year of the horse
Thursday we went to Jogja for a zone meeting! Sis Manurung was ecstatic and it felt like another home! I made rice krispies and we pulled a prank on our District Leader by calling him after the train left the station and pretended we missed it with another set of elders while waiting for the bathroom. But we went on a zone activity to Gembira Loka Zoo! Haha gotta love 20 missionaries contacting people, cramming on busses and looking crazy all dressed up and mostly “bule”. 

Remember this? Gembira Loka Zoo in Jojga
Sister Manurng and I at Gembira Loka Zoo
"The Zone" at the Gembira Loka Zoo

Friday we were all over the place from one meeting to the next appointment and in the middle of it all, I fell! Haha like a good, palms bleeding, sprawled over the train track, shoe went flying, skirt half covered in mud, laughing your head off kind of fall. Why do train tracks cause so much trouble?! It made us late and we taught the fastest lesson ever including them feeding us! That night Mbah got a blessing from the Elders and it was really neat to hear him say that he all the sudden felt peace. That is the priesthood!
 
These are the two sisters and their friend who is learning. Kartika, Reza and Ajeng.
They are kids of a new member.
Saturday the highlight was teaching the 10 commandments to Kartika and Reza and Ajeng because they brought three other friends. The elders had an appt next door and walked past and said "whoa that is a lot of little kids reading the Book of Mormon!" Why can't we all be more humble like little kids. They are so teachable and eager to follow the Savior. Then we also had a great chance to go with the Stake President to visit a non-active girl. We shared “Be Meek and Lowly” from Conference last October and near the end she was crying. I think that she is someone who has gone through a lot for only being 24, but she is quietly enduring and still very strong on the inside. It touched me and humbled me. I can't judge or understand anyone perfectly but I can help! Missionaries are here to be the Lord's hands. Which brings me to my spiritual thought of the week. A few months ago President gave us all card to keep with us always that says this:

"My Commission
I am called of God. My authority is above that of the kinds of the earth. By revelation I have been selected as a personal representative of the Lord Jesus Christ. He is my Master and He has chosen me to represent Him: To stand in His place, to say and do what He himself would say and do if He personally were ministering to the very people to whom He has sent me. My voice is His voice, and my acts are His acts; my words are His words and my doctrine is His doctrine. My commission is to do what He wants done; to say what He wants said; to be a living modern witness in word and deed of the divinity of His great and marvelous latter-day work." -Elder Bruce R. McConkie

How Great Is My Calling.

Our deaf investigator, whom we actually have only met once since her family doesn't want us to meet with her.
I wish she knew my American Sign Language or I knew Indonesian sign.
 
Some members from the Solo 1st ward

Don't you love this? I have it about memorized and it is the best motivation to forget yourself and get to work. Serve someone. Use the power that you have been given as His chosen representatives. Aren't we lucky to know the truth?!

Sunday we had a great Fast Sunday and I LOVE getting to take the sacrament 2x every week. It is the best thing about the week. We were asked to fast for the people that were affected by the floods and earthquakes in Indo and also for the missionary work. Then we went out to an investigator's house that is WAY far and felt like a mountain biking trail (I loved it of course!). Then we came back to have a ward mission leader meeting then off to another appt with the elders. That was an awesome lesson to end the night- we taught the Restoration. She was asking all the best questions about the restoration and even though she is catholic, seems to have no problem with all of it. She asked us if she could come to our church... that is a wonderful question to hear as a missionary :) then after we explained the details she said with a smile (in Indonesian) "ok Elder continue your strange story." 

Some ladies who make Sate, then carry them around on their heads to sell on the streets.
They are a hoot!

There is no limit to what fits behind a motorcycle!
There are birds in every single cage too!

Today we are going to meet with that same lady for a church tour and we just got done playing futsol for our Pday. 
LOTS OF LOVE FROM INDO! And rain... I'll try to send some!
(makes me think of one of my fave songs "Gratitude" from One Clear Voice.)
Fixing a member's roof

I'm so glad you got the package I sent! “Purpose” was to help you learn something and feel something. “Sentiment” was to help you make memories (eating haha). And “wonder” was something to wear/show off. Just to clarify, when you wrote that you are going to make... "rumah belanja terpercaya" it is the slogan from the grocery store, "the most trusted grocery store". Tepung kue means cake mix. And about the salak! HAHA so I sent that in October and have since learned that "manisan" actually isn't sugar coated. It's actually like a thing when they pickle the fruit first and even I think it's disgusting! Haha so sorry about that! The corn candy... YES that was my exact reaction too! Haha that could be fun on April fool's though ya? The little cart is what they call a "becak" (bay-chuck). Oh and Samuel looks very sharp with his new haircut!

I also got your and grandma's letters from November with pictures and grandma's full of the best memories. Thank you, thank you, thank you! :)
PS Dad, thanks for the quote. PPS thanks for the english lesson ;) I'm struggling! PPPS you look so stylin’ with that new button up shirt! 

Kasihmu selalu,

Sis Sheff
Es Pisang Hijau = Ice green banana
ENAK
! (Delicious) Have I ever mentioned that Indonesians get way crazier
with drinks then with food? It's true

No comments:

Post a Comment