Sunday, February 9, 2014

MY HALFWAY MARK!

Happy Valentine's from Solo, Indonesia

This week had a lot of highlights but the biggest is probably
MY HALFWAY MARK!
Can you believe that? 9 months ago we drove to Provo, went to J-Dawgs, took pictures, gave hugs and kisses and said "see ya later"!!! Time has flown by but that also feels like forever ago. It is a different world now, ya? Being halfway makes it a time for a lot of reflection. I feel grateful, sad, excited, far from finished, and everything in between. 9 more months. Only 9 months to dedicate to the Lord and be with these awesome Indonesian people. Only 9 more months before I will come home... Ahhhhhhhhhhh!!

Some of the other highlights for the week. 

Sister Manurung and Sis. Sheffield wishing you a great Valentine's Day
Tuesday- we had some let downs with Mbah but I think that Heavenly Father is just testing our endurance with him. Missions are a lesson in love and patience-- that's for sure!

Anastasya and Brother Tri's wedding

Wednesday- We were surprised by one of our investigators getting married by the bishop. They have been waiting a while to get married and she is pregnant with her 2nd child but it was so exciting to see her just one step closer to getting baptized (even though she said she doesn't want to get baptized yet). I played the piano and it was a small but fun event. We took a new investigator on a church tour and we have so much hope for her! 

Our favorite place to eat "Pak Jon's"

Thursday- we learned to make Indonesian soup, which was a definate highlight because it was delicious! But the most quotable part of the day was after we had done service and were eating as a district. I was eating and hadn't finished my tempe but there wasn't any more rice. "What am I supposed to do?! I ran out of nasi!" Yes... I am developing an Indonesian stomach!

Planting trees at Taman Banjarsari

Cute little kids that asked for a picture together
Friday- we helped clean up a local park and plant some trees. It was so fun because there were kids from all these different schools there and it was a city-wide event. Then I whipped out a lemon meringue pie! Haha it didn't look too bad and tasted soooo good! Thank you again for birthday presents ;)

I made a lemon meringue pie for our district meeting

Saturday- HALFWAY DAY! Made for a little bit of an emotional morning but we had some good lessons. The highlight was stopping to talk to a little girl and ended up explaining the restoration, the entire plot of the Book of Mormon and giving her a copy. She is 7 but SOOO smart. I have no clue what will happen to her but I know someday she will get baptized! We also had some good news that Kartika and Reza are allowed to get baptized if there is someone who will pick them up and bring them home from church. Hopefully only a few weeks before they will be baptized.

View from the church window, with the rain pouring down

Sunday- I SPOKE! Haha they asked "Sister Seefel" to give a talk on the Sacrament. I have gotten so passionate about the Atonement since my mission. It started with "The Root of Christian Doctrine" by Griffins, talk that mom sent a while back. But the Sacrament is the only covenant that I can renew here since we are so far from the temple. I think I did well. They said that "Sister Scanfield" did a good job, haha.

Today we are going to go visit another palace in Solo. Guess what?! Sister Manalu goes home on the 11th! Isn't that so sad? I really hope I will get to see her again some day. 

Spiritual message of the week... I was really intrigued with Luke 10:38-42 and the story of Mary vs Martha. I sadly am sooooooo similar to Martha. I am always busy doing things and in verse 40 it says she was busy serving. Isn't that a good thing? Well yes, but in that moment there were better things. I am going to get busy with the best things especially in these next 9 months.

I guess I am from the year of the chicken

Here are some good valentines scriptures...
1 Ne. 11:17, 1 Cor. 13:13, Mni. 7:45-48, Mni. 8:16.
Songs of Solomon 8:7 "Many waters cannot quench love, neither can the floods drown it: if a man would give all the substance of his house for love, it would utterly be contemned."
Our family is worth more than all the riches in the world. Time and the world cannot destroy our family's eternal bond. I send all my love from across the oceans in Solo, Indonesia straight to 1979 Shoshone Drive.


Whew! I hope that you all are having a great week and I hope the next week is even better! I'm praying for you. Keep moving forward! (Meet the Robinsons ya!)

<3 Sis Sheff

No comments:

Post a Comment