Sunday, September 22, 2013

New companion



FAMILY!!!! I love you all so much! I had such a homesick feeling opening this email but don't worry, it is nothing too serious haha. It's probably because I had to teach gospel principles yesterday and it was about "Families Can Be Eternal".


You asked about what to send in a Christmas package. I have been trying to think of what I want for Christmas. There aren't many needs... but if you think of an idea, I am open for suggestions and surprises! I would love the family pictures we took before I left, pictures of the Ogden girls, maybe some BYU friends. I would love anything that reminds me of you guys. Pictures, notes, trinkets from home... I also loved the individual crystal light packets you sent, also I have been dying for some granola/trail mix/dried fruit/peanut butter m&m's or something like that. SO I guess that is my Christmas wish list :)
 
Last trip to Malioboro
Now on to the week. Sorry, this will be all over the place!
Monday: we had lunch at the Nanamia's Italian place we love. Then watched Johnny Lingo and The Phone Call from lds.org as a district haha. Oh the funniest part though was when Elder James wasn't watching and had to slam on his brakes to stop from hitting Elder Kusumarmanto but he only used his front brakes and flipped over his handlebars! His bike was facing the wrong direction after that and he had a good smugde of dirt on his sleeve but that's it. Just hilarious to watch haha.
Elder Kusumarmanto's parents are a mission couple and had an assignment
in Jogja for the weekend, so they took us out to lunch

Tuesday: We met a referral who is so elegant and her house is gorgeous... we want to her to get baptized quick so that the missionaries can live at her house! Taught an investigator. I also got Joshua's letter- m'kasih banyak bro! You da best! Then we went to lunch as a district. 


Would have been a great picture at Raminten's for lunch...
but got photo bombed!

I carried a suitcase on my handlebars for Sister Manalu. I bought some proselyting shirts on sale. Then we taught a new member, Charlah then had ward choir practice for the first time. I ended up singing a solo yesterday in church with the choir! It was a long night and a sad night because Sister Manalu and Baantjer were getting things ready to leave.
Last district picture... good for the mantle
Elder James, Elder Kusumarmanto
Sis. Manalu, me, Sis. Manullang and Sis. Baanjter
 
True Personalities maybe?
Going to miss this group
Sis. Baanjter, Sis. Manalu, Elder James, Alexcia, me, Sis. Manullang, Elder Kusumarmanto

Wednesday: really hard to say goodbye. Really, really, hard. But Sis Manullang and I taught english at Cpt's Club then we waited for our new companions (comps)! Sister Believe is 21 years old, from Manado but lives in Jakarta for school. She has been a member for about 2 years now and is the only member in her family. She really quiet but since her english isn't great, I get to practice a lot of Indonesian! She is so little and so it is funny when we take pictures that I look so dorky and tall. It always is a little awkward to get used to a new comp and you feel kinda like you're starting over at ground level but it'll be good. We taught Hastu that night in prep for her baptism which was yesterday!
 
Me and Sister Believe. Funny how she is standing on stairs in this picture
Thursday: felt a little bit like my first week all over again with some loneliness and doubt but I was reading 2 Nephi 4 and WOW does that help! Nephi's Lament is so comforting because it sounded so similar to my own prayers and I know that we all feel like this sometimes... even prophets! We went to Klaten with the Barnard's because Kawit (the grandpa) is going to be baptized next week! Then we taught Hastu again and Alexcia too. Alexcia is going to Jakarta soon so it feels like three friends left for Jakarta this week. Love Alexcia and I am so excited to see what happens in her life.

Friday: UCP which allllllways lifts my week! Then I got 2 letters! 1 from Grandma and 1 from Joan Iverson. They were such great letters. Joan shared a scripture from Nehemia 6:3 about how Nehemia's work was so great, he couldn't go back home until he did all he could to help. What a perfect mission metaphor. Then Grandma shared a chapter from Mary Ellen Edmund's book talking about each grain of rice being precious and how selflessly the people of Asia will give to others even in poor situations. So true! Helps me realize that people outside of my little bubble have experienced what I have. Also that people like Grandma and our ward are thinking about me makes me want to cry. So touching that I have so much unseen support. I need it and can feel it. Then we went with the Elders and a member family from Solo to a way fancy restaurant. Then we had young adult choir practice. Then another adventure with Alexcia, which consisted of driving around finding a hotel late at night... haha gotta love it.

Saturday: Finished our service at Sister Peni's school. It made me think, "The Sheffield's know how to work hard". Masi benar ya? (Still true ya?) Then Hastu had her baptismal interview. We then visited an investigator but got caught in a parade on the way there. OH! That investigator Pak is going to be a general authority someday! He said for the second time that the Book of Mormon is true and we taught about the Word of Wisdom and he wants to live it. But the problem is he is just too relaxed and comfortable not going to church. That night we ran out of gas and water haha which always happens right before Sunday. I was trying to do a lot of studying for my lesson before bed.
Service project

SUNDAY! We sang in Sacrament as the choir and I/Elder James had solo's. Then my lesson went well. Then Hastu was baptized!!! After more than 5 years of learning she was baptized! Then we taught Kawit and took sacrament to a member. (So grateful for priesthood members who never say no to serving.) Then we taught a family and shared 3 Ne. 13:33 because I have been loving that principle lately. vs 31-end. After that we had a phone call that the other sisters frogot their keys and had their bikes locked at Alun-Alun so we had a pretty night ride down to Alun-Alun.
Hastu's baptism
The sister missionaries at Hastu's baptism
Sis. Manullang, me, Sis. Allred and Sis. Believe

Today has been a day full of trying to figure out money situations for Sister Believe and emailing. We want to go to the Gembira Loka Zoo and I am so excited for that!!! I have been wanting to go there forever!

Please keep praying for me and for my companion! I love you all so much and I pray for you always! I haven't had a ton of time to write in my journal or write letters but I will try to send one soon.
Kasihmu selalu,
Sister “Emagoohoo” “Princess Adelaide” Sheff in the Field

No comments:

Post a Comment